Monday 24 January 2011

Headaches and best mates.

Well first thing's first, I thought I'd apologise for the lack of an update for the past few days. I don't mean to keep you in the dark, and I have to say I've been absolutely touched by the interest that you've all invested into my recovery. So to make it up to you, here's a bumper entry about the last four or so days of my life, though I'm terribly sorry to report that they've been on the most part BORING AS HELL.

Perhaps the most significant development was on Thursday with my lovely lumbar puncture, a process which involves taking fluid samples straight out of the spinal chord and then injecting the chemo directly to my brain. Dramatic as hell, you might think, but the process itself wasn't actually that bad, and I joyfully walked out of the procedure thinking all this chemo lark was all a bit of a picnic and that I was practically invincible. Never again in my life am I endorsing any such feelings of underestimation. The after effects of that procedure have been hellish. Imagine the worst headache known to man, coupled with the vision and audio of Bono poorly playing the citar with a choir full of Miley Cyrus/Macy Gray clones bringing up the vocal rear behind him and you're not even close. Spinal fluid imbalance is no joke kids, so be wary indeed.

I thought I'd also point out that if Biggie was still alive and found out one of his raps had been remixed with Miley Cyrus, he'd probably kill the bitch.

But in amongst the gloom and anguish of chronic headaches I've had some good times, I assure you all. Saturday in particular was brilliant, mostly down to the huge number of beautiful visitors that came to see me throughout the day. When dealing with treatment as heavy as this, sometimes the best method is simply forgetting about it all and laughing with friends and family, and that's what Saturday was all about. Being surrounded by people that I care so dearly about actually made me forget about all this Luke nonsense (by the way, I'm now simply calling my condition 'Luke'), and even if it's snippets of nostalgia or bemoaning a typical bad result for West Ham, it's so nice to be reminded that I have a life waiting for me as soon as I get this treatment out of the way. Yesterday I was upset trying to comprehend the amount of time I have to spend in this ward, but I assure you now as I write this blog I have a smile on my face as I look forward to all the time I'm going to have when I'm on the road to recovery. Things aren't so bad.

That's not to say don't visit me for the meantime though. I love visits, hence COME VISIT ME. Even if it's just a quick hello or yearnings for some of my wise counsel, you'll be doing me the world of good by showing your lovely faces.

That'll do for now. Just a quick word to all my fellow English peeps sitting Victorian Lit tomorrow: sorry I can't be there, I'm sure you're all gonna smash it though and get the grades you need. Remember, Robert Browning was an absolute gangster and is well worth writing a question on. Believe.

Much love.

Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment