Sunday 16 January 2011

I'm going to get straight to the point on this one. On Thursday the 13th of January, just three days ago, I was diagnosed with ALL, which stands for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. I have cancer of the blood. And as you can imagine, it's turned my entire life upside down.

Just typing those words is a massive weight off my chest. Sure, I've been talking about my illness for three or four days now and it's enabled me to come to terms with it. Still, considering that only a handful of people actually know of these 'recent developments' as of now, it's been hugely difficult to come up with a way of making people on a wider scale aware. I would hate for people to find out over some ridiculous facebook status twitter malarky so I figured that this was the best way of doing things. Telling people is one of the hardest parts, but if I'm going to beat this illness then I must face up to the responsibilities that come with it. And I'm totally gonna win.

So, remembering only yesterday that I actually had a blog and was utilising it as much as Sarah Palin utilises a sense of shame, I thought it was as good a time as any to give it another go, except this time give it some more purpose. I'm hoping to post daily updates on my treatment and recovery, as well as giving you a bit of insight into how one copes with something so astronomical such as this. You'll also get a first hand experience of a few of the quirky ins and outs of time spent in a hospital ward (and trust me, there are lots). There will be bad days, but plenty of good ones too and I hope to not only write with a sense of humour, but also present to you a truly honest account of my life on the road to recovery.

I'll leave it there for now, best this be brief. If you want to ask me anything about anything then absolutely don't hesitate. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes. It might involve me shaving all my hair off OH MY CHRIST.

Thanks for reading, love you all.
Ryan.

2 comments:

  1. hi this is a test to see if lana can get me hooked up, will save the best comments until later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thanks Lynda! Hope you all are settled into the hotel, will see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete