Friday 4 February 2011

Being Human.

I was woken up this morning to the question of “GOT ANY WEE BOTTLES?” I assure you this is standard procedure at a hospital for all patients on a fluid chart, but I wasn’t quite so prepared for the ferocity of the enquiry as I stirred from my deep slumber. My response was a nonchalant ‘nah’ and I made some Cheerios. They were yummy.

Today has been the first day in a while that I’ve actually felt like a human being. Call it one of those ‘good days.’ I don’t mean to portray that with any brush of cynicism; rather on the contrary, as I’m over the moon that I feel a bit like my old self again. Funny how you can have the absolute crap kicked out of you relentlessly for days on end and then all of a sudden you wake up and you feel… normal. It’s a huge encouragement to the mental side of things, and it really does instill you with the belief that you can do this. Not that I had any doubts at all, guys. ;)

It’s not all been plain sailing though. I’ve been picking up infections through my toils and thus complications have arisen. Firstly I was moved to my own room (which isn’t a bad thing at all, I get my own en suite, shower, sink and other cool utilities) to ensure that other illnesses weren’t picked up, but as my temperature kept going up they concluded that isolationism and plenty of antibiotic drips are the only things that are gonna put a stop to infections fast. These have their inevitable drawbacks. First of all, one of the infections might be swine flu, and that’s just embarrassing. Second, all my visitors must come clad head to toe in aprons, face masks and head pieces, which kinda makes me feel a further sense of isolation than the one I’m feeling at the moment. Gutting, but on the plus side, seeing my mate Shyam in a yellow apron and upside down mask was probably the biggest highlight of my hospital stay so far.

So there are ups and downs. I’ve turned back to music and started acquiring new things again. Grizzly Bear, Wild Beasts, Shoes and Socks Off, You Slut! and Earl Sweatshirt have been keeping me busy. Got any suggestions? Whack them in the comment box! Music is my absolute love and I adore hearing new bands and sounds, so if you want to recommend then don’t hesitate. Also check out my last.fm. And if you don’t have last.fm, get one! I cannot endorse it enough.

Big love my peeps!

Ryan.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan

    You sound much perkier today! So now youve been upgraded to your own room with ensuite. Having your own toilet is a big plus in my book. Sorry to hear about the infections. Look forward to seeing you soon.
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. For every reason in the world I want you to come home very very very soon! But today one more, quite big reason came up. Mum started talking to me about football! :O I did not have the foggiest what to reply, I needed your guidance and well basically just you there to have the conversation instead of me! There are also no McCoys in the cupboard :(, they mainly get bought for you and Ellise (as I moan I put on weight because im incapbale of eating just one packet a day) but either way I miss them! I'll see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan, I found your blog through Frank Turner's retweet. You've got a great style of writing and attitude towards stuff, keep it up.

    As for music: Frank was on the judging panel for the Xfm New Music Award - maybe you could work your way through the shortlist. It's here: http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2011/short-list-for-xfms-new-music-announced

    ReplyDelete