Monday 3 October 2011

Act II: My holiday, by Ryan age 23 ¾.

I'm trying to uphold some kind of chronological discipline with all this. So in respect to that, imagine me feeling not so great around the time of the last entry, leading up to the early days of September. This instalment I'd say begins around the, oh I dunno. 9th, maybe? Let's say 9th. Everyone likes a bit of 9. Emperor of China. Alan Shearer. Nine rings to rule them all... wait. No, that's not right. Nevermind.

Cut back to the 9th September then and things are looking up for me. Intensive chemo finished, feeling more alive, out drinking socially again, getting into confrontations on the Aylesbury scene. Well, that's not like normal, but some people HAVE to be dickheads. Starting on someone for wearing a hat? White trash vermin.

Straying off the issue. What I'm trying to say is that it's great to have a sense of normality again. You might recall some of my entries around the May/June stage of the year, where I was celebrating good health, hair growth and a relaxed lifestyle. Well... we're not quite there yet, but this month has definitely seen a great improvement from a few weeks back, and being able to go out for a few beers without the fear of great peril striking at any moment is a bit superb. Like the cliche goes, and like I've said about eight hundred times on this very site, it's all about keeping a good mental well being. Achieve that and you're pretty much home and dry, in a sense. Staying indoors, moping around and feeling sorry for yourself really isn't the way to go.

It was great to go to London again after such a long time out of the big smoke. I'm sure Ellise will have appreciated the break as well after an extraordinary run of weekends getting the train to come and see me. I feel pretty guilty over the financial burden she's had to endure to be honest, but I'll make it up to her. In my own currency! Ryans! 800 RYANS FOR ELLISE.

I do love settling debts.

London was brilliant, for a number of reasons. Seeing Ellise's family again was nice, and as always they let me eat their food and use their hot water, for which I'm grateful. I'll be sure to send some Ryans their way in due course. I also caught up with some old friends and saw some new sights of East London, although that really wasn't all that voluntary and it was quite dark, so the sense of dread was worryingly heightened. We ended up walking for a good hour or so around the streets and I was sweating bullets due to wearing a thick wooly hat (no, we're not past that stage yet). So all in all I was a bit of a mess, but it was class being able to be out and about again. Refer to what I said a few paragraphs back about 'mental well being' and all that.

Next was Sheffield. I'm fearing that this is really just devolving into some sort of 'what I did during my summer holiday' list, so in order to just speed up the inevitable, and because I'm lazy, here's a list of what I did in Sheffield. Green for GOOD. Red for BAD.

  • Saw a lot of friends, all of whom are doing good. Looking forward to hanging out with them when I return full time in January.

  • Some people I didn't get to see or didn't see as much as I would like. Will resolve this soon. Or send Ryans.

  • Got a lot of uni stuff sorted. Literally will be picking up where I left off come January.

  • Registration still not done and dusted. Health service cocked up and finance forms still not been sent yet.

  • Got drunk as all kinds of fuck.

  • See above. Hangovers are becoming more troublesome.

  • Saw The Big Lebowksi on the big screen. Far out.

So I've been busy. Ok, I admit, it's not the makings of a saga, is it? It's not the most exciting of adventures to the common man, who's probably looking back fondly on his summer holiday to Peru, and is already planning ahead and looking at winter breaks to fucking Laos or wherever, but to me it's been a mighty big deal. And what now? Do I get on with proper grown up things, like work placements or even a job? Or should I just swan about doing fuck all until uni starts again in January? Well find out in the next entry.

WHICH STARTS NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment